Having trouble turning iTune files into mp3s
I have a new iMac G5. Compared to my old blue G3, this thing is amazing but a little daunting for this computer-challenged dolt.
Someone tried to explain how to convert a song in my iTunes from AIIF file to mp3. Here's what I did:
1. Went to iTunes preferences, clicked open
2. Went to "importing Using" from drop-down and chose "mp3 Encoder"
3. While still at "Importing Using: Setting" changed to "192 kpbs"
4. Then I went back to iTunes and selected "song"
5. Click "Advanced" from iTunes and select "convert selection" to mp3
But the newly made file IS NOT AN MP3, it says "MPEG4"
My question is HOW THE **** can you convert a file into a TRUE MP3?
What am I doing wrong? This is driving me nuts.